In the coming decades, there are three key technologies that are evolving, which will directly impact how Americans travel: connectedness, big data, and automation.
All three of these technologies combined will impact operations and budgets, and as a result cities nationwide are facing big challenges ahead.
These seven steps outline how to mobilize your agency to best serve drivers:
1. Establish partner relationships with transportation companies.
2. Determine what data your agency is responsible for and make it public.
3. Develop transportation systems management and operations (TSMO), active traffic management, and integrated corridor management capabilities.
4. Partner in the development of cellular and fiber communications in transportation corridors.
5. Determine how to engage the emerging technology of connected vehicles.
6. Make friends with your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), especially if it also serves as your Department of Transportation (DOT).
7. Plan for the workforce of the future.
To read the entire article, visit www.pwmag.com.